Monday, April 27, 2015

Adventures in Babysitting... A Wet Trip to the Vet!

Today I woke up to the lovely sound of rain! As I lay in bed waking up I realized that this lovely rain may make my morning outing a bit crazy!  I decided not to worry to much it would probably stop by the time we had to go out.  

Ha ha not today!  We had to take our sweet kitty Smoke to the Vet today.  Just to get her sutures out from being spayed but, going out in the down pour of rain with 4 littles in tow can make for quite an adventure! :-)

So, I took the kids out one at a time so that I didn't have to worry about them getting too wet and no one would fall this way. One of the times when I came back to grab a kiddo I told my hubby who was watching the kiddos while I shuttled that I must be crazy going out in the rain with this many kiddos!  I just smiled!  He knows I love a good adventure!  By the time I got all of the kids, the cat, the stroller, the diaper bag, and myself  in the car I was drenched!  Water was dripping down my hair, and running down my forehead.  My glasses were so wet and speckled I could hardly see out of them!  I realized about the second trip that I should have chosen a jacket with a hood! DUH  LOL

We set off to the Vet with Smoke mewing in the front seat in her kennel the whole 20 minutes to get there.  We pulled up and I tried to figure out the best plan on how to get us all in and not be too wet!  I got the stroller out and put two kids in the stroller ( I have a double seater)  Then I grabbed the last toddler and my 4 year old carried the cat in her carrier!  We made it across the parking lot and up to the side walk just as a sweet old lady came out and held the door for us.  She said, "My you have your hands full!"  My oh my yes I do!  LOL  

I pushed the stroller into the reception area with a relief that we would at least be semi dry now.  The receptionist told me it would be a few minutes so we found a seat.  As I was putting my little Sweet Pea in the stroller I realized that she was stinky!  Since I had a minute I decided to change her diaper.  I switched out kids in the stroller and pushed them over by the bathroom door.  Grabbed the diaper changing bag I have (I carry a bag with just diapers and wipes in it so I can grab that out of the diaper bag and just take it in the bathroom for changing)  They didn't have a changing station, but luckily I have a changing pad in my bag so I layed down the pad and then changed the nasty diaper.  All while peaking out of the cracked door to make sure everyone was OK.  Back out to wait for Smokes turn.  Sweet Pea wants to run around and try to climb up on all of the chairs.  The other kids in the stroller and getting fussy.  One keeps putting her foot on the back of the others seat basically kicking him in the back!  Ok time for a snack.  Don't ever leave home without food if you are taking littles somewhere!  Snacks out everyone is distracted for at least a minute.  Vet comes out and gets smoke.  He actually realized there was no way we would all fit in the exam room so he asked me if I'd like for him to just take her back really quick and bring her back out.  I agreed this was our best option!  :-)  

He brought her out after just a few minutes!  Yea!  We can head back out into the rain!  This time around we stopped on the sidewalk which is covered!  I decide to shuttle kids across the small parking lot instead of letting them sit in the rain while I get each of them out.  Cat in carrier and 4 year old stayed with the kids till the end.  Once again I was drenched by the time I got us all back in the car!  Maybe more drenched than before since it had started raining harder while we were in the Vet's office.

We had a nice drive home and then I did it all again shuttling kiddos back into the house.  We had lunch and now it's nap time!  There is a pretty good chance I'll be shuttling kiddos through the rain again when we go to get the older kids from school!  

We love the rain and this definitely made for a change in the pace of the day for today.  We needed the rain so much!  My best advice when you find yourself having to do something out of the ordinary is see the good in it and try to have fun!  

TTFN!!
~April

No comments:

Post a Comment